Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Chat With Kathrin Ress


In my continuing effort to introduce you to your 2007 Minnesota Lynx team, I spoke with rookie Kathrin Ress Wednesday night after practice. As stated before, the concerning area regarding this Lynx team is the lack of post players, especially after the team cut fellow rookie Brooke Smith.

After watching the second half of Saturday’s scrimmage, along with attending a few other practices, I am convinced that Ress will be a more then welcome addition to Minnesota this season…as well as for many seasons to come.

-----

SL: How excited are you to play the up-tempo style of play that Coach is implementing? Do you prefer to play a fast pace like this or are you more comfortable slowing it down?

KR: I love the way coach is running practice. Time goes by quickly and we are all getting better. I know I'm not the quickest player, but I love just throwing long outlet passes or just being down in the post already knowing that it's coming.

SL: Coach Zierden himself is also new to the Lynx. You touched on it a little, but what do you think of him as a coach so far?

KR: I think he is great. He keeps it real and he comes into practice everyday with a purpose and that spirit is contagious. He just wants you to get better, no matter who it is.

SL: Sure...I've noticed that in the limited amount of practice I'm able to see.

KR: Yeah, I really like him and the whole coaching staff.

SL: Are you concerned at all with the lack of post players on this team?

KR: Well, I think five is a good number and we all compliment each other. We know Nicole is the veteran in this situation and she will have to bring a lot this year, as well as Tamika. They are doing a great job keeping us together and making sure we are all working hard…and as coach Z says, we have each other's back!

SL: OK, so now, be a scout for me...tell me what you think of Lindsey Harding now seeing her up close in camp?

KR: Well, I've played against Lindsey for 2 years in the ACC and she is one of the greatest point guards out there. She is great because she can create for others as well as for herself…that is what makes her good.

SL: How is she as a leader?

KR: She is good and she has been speaking up a lot now that she is comfortable. We have become good friends so she is helping me out too.

SL: What is the best advice or words of encouragement that you've received since draft day?

KR: well they have been the same I've gotten before that too...to just let it come to you. I'm known by my old coaches to be really hard on myself. Actually, Nancy Darsh, who is the assistant at BC, now always tells me "Don't say anything to yourself that you wouldn't tell to a teammate.”

SL: Why are you so hard on yourself?

KR: Because I tend never to be happy with my performance. I always want to get better.

SL: Although you are about a week into camp, what do you feel your specific role will be on this team this year?

KR: To be consistent with what I bring everyday, whether it be in practice or in a game. One day it might be rebounds, the other it might be helping off my man…anything I can do for the team that specific day is what I will have to do.

SL: So, you'll do all the dirty work?

KR: I'll do whatever my coach and my teammates need me to do.

SL: This team is coming off a 10 win season last year. The big acquisitions this off-season are Katryna Gaither, along with the rookies. You are all talented rookies, but rookies nonetheless. So, what is a realistic expectation for this team this season?

KR: The sky is the limit. With such young talent we will get better everyday and every game. Nothing is off-limits for this team...and we are looking high.

SL: How high? Being competitive? Playoffs? Championship?

KR: Anything…all the ones you've listed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for keeping us up to date with the Lynx...This is the place I will come for info on my favorite team..Thanx again

Stephen Litel said...

Hey, thanks so much. Like I've said before, tell your friends. LOL.

Also, be sure to check back the next few days as I've been chatting with quite a few members of the team. However, I'm going to tease you guys and only post one interview per day!

...always leave them wanting more!