Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Chat With Noelle Quinn

Lost in the excitement of adding this year’s number one pick, Lindsey Harding, to last year’s number one pick, Seimone Augustus, is the fact that Noelle Quinn isn’t too shabby herself. The fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft, Quinn completed an amazing career at UCLA and fulfilled a dream of playing in the WNBA.

An interesting stat on Quinn is that she is the only player in UCLA history (male or female) to score 1700+ points, grab 700+ rebounds, and dish out 400+ assists in her career. Coming from a school rich in basketball tradition like UCLA, that is quite an accomplishment. Quinn is well on her way to living up to the expectations she sets on herself admiring the great Magic Johnson.

After practice last week, I sat down with Noelle Quinn to discuss training camp and the upcoming season.
-----

SL: How excited are you to play the up-tempo style that Coach Zierden is implementing?

NQ: Definitely very excited. That’s the type of style I enjoy to play since I started playing basketball. I am a fan of just pushing the ball and generating excitement, not only for our team, but for the fans. That’s what fans like to see. In college, I played up-tempo also, I’m used to it and excited.

SL: What has been the hardest part of camp so far for you?

NQ: Two things, I’d say. First, the two-a-days. We not only practice, but we work with our strength and conditioning coach and he works us pretty hard and then, coming back at night. The second aspect is kind of like the mental aspect. This is a new level for me, so I have to remember that I can make mistakes. It’s kind of like I’m re-learning the game, which isn’t exactly how I should put it, but it’s difficult. It’s faster pace, you’re playing with grown women, so I’ve just got to keep my focus and keep my mind correct.

SL: What are your thoughts so far on new head coach Don Zierden?

NQ: He’s a great guy. First off, he’s very genuine, very family-oriented and he’s a phenomenal person. Just talking to him, he’s really passionate about basketball and he wants to change this franchise around. I enjoy every moment I have within his presence and I’m constantly learning from him. On the court, he wants to get the best out of you. He has a very good drive and that’s generating our thoughts and strengthening our playing abilities. He’s going to love you, but if you mess up, he’s going to tell you. I haven’t had that type of coach to get on me, but at the same time I have to think that it’s nothing personal. He’s just making me better.

SL: Are you concerned at all about the lack of post players on this team?

NQ: I don’t think it’s a big concern just because of our style of play since we like to get up and down the court. Hopefully, that won’t be our Achilles, not having a lot of post players. On the flip-side, we have great perimeter players and we kind of have combo players that can get in there and rebound. It’s very competitive right now. Everybody is fighting for a spot, but I don’t think our posts are lacking at all. It doesn’t matter how big you are, it’s about how much heart you have.


SL: Now, it’s your turn to be a scout for me. Tell me what you’ve seen out of Lindsey Harding so far in camp.

NQ: Lindsey Harding is a great player. She’s a great floor leader and she’s the type of person who is a natural leader. Her aura and the way she talks…she’s just a leader. She’s been a great point guard for Duke, she’s a great shooter, she can score, she knows how to keep the team together, she makes your life less hard, plays great defense and she’s an all-around great player.
SL: Have you been able to determine at this point what your role will be on this team?

NQ: Z wants me to play a little bit of point behind Lindsey, so I’m working every day to get better at that because that’s not my comfort, but I can do it. I’m a taller guard and the rest of my game is very versatile. As of right now, I don’t know really, but I’m in here just working hard on defense, which is one thing I need to improve on. I’m getting better every day.

SL: What’s been the best advice or words of encouragement that you have received since draft day?

NQ: I’d say from Nikki Blue from the Washington Mystics. She’s one of my closest friends. I was just telling her some of the difficulties I’m going through with being on my own and all that stuff. The best thing she said was ‘You’re here. You made it here because you’re a great player and you’re meant to be here, so keep working at it and don’t get down.” There are going to be days when you go through everything and you think it’s the worst day ever, but she was just telling me that I could do it. Just positive reinforcement.

SL: This team won 10 games last year. The acquisitions in the off-season were Katryna Gaither and the rookies. You are all talented, but are rookies nonetheless. With that in mind, what do you feel is a realistic expectation for this team this season?

NQ: First of all, we’re going to win more then 10 games. A lot of people are talking about how young we are, but we still have veteran players coming in. Right now, looking at the NBA playoffs and watching Golden State, they’re not supposed to be winning. Charles Barkley called them ‘midgets’ and all this stuff is going on, but, as a team, they play hard and they get after it defensively. If you look at the Lynx, we understand that people think we’re not going to do it and all we have is us.

No comments: