Thursday, May 17, 2007

Svetlana Speaks

After arriving in the Twin Cities only on Wednesday, Svetlana Abrosimova has a lot of catching up to do. She has arrived to a new-look team with a new head coach, system and philosophy. However, Svet is a smart player and seemed to be picking things up quickly today in practice.

After today’s practice (her first with her new teammates), I sat down with Abrosimova for a chat.


SL: So, this team has a new look since you were last here...
SA: Yeah, every year is new. Right now, it’s a completely different team. I think we have five players returning from last year, but it’s obviously different because of the coaching staff. For me right now, it’s just getting adjusted to what they really want us to do. I mean, I really missed a lot. Three weeks. I’ve been playing, so I’m not out of shape. I’m ready to go, but I’m just learning the system and I’ve got to get in right away. That’s the tough part. I like what I saw today though. People working hard. I like the rookies, but I haven’t seen anyone play in NCAAs, so this is the first time I saw them, but it was good.

SL: What are your thoughts on Coach Zierden after your first practice with him?

SA: I like how he’s very demanding. He has certain rules and he wants people to follow it. I do one thing wrong and he stops me right away and he says ‘We don’t do this because we did this last year’ and that’s when we were the worst team in the country. He’s got his rules and that’s what a young team needed because when you play for the national team people have more experience and they can help each other, but here, you kind of have to teach it.

SL: Is the fast paced style of play Coach Zierden is implementing what you prefer to play?

SA: Yes. Everybody likes the up-tempo style unless you’re a really, really big post and it’s hard for you physically. We have a lot of guards on this team, so that’s the kind of style they want to play. Run, score a lot of points and move a lot…it’s fun.

SL: Then, the other side of that…with the amount of guards there are on this team, are you concerned with the lack of post players?

SA: You know, I can’t answer that…but, yes.

SL: You’ll have to be careful with playing overseas, then coming here for a full season to not wear yourself out.

SA: You know, we had a lot of players on my team, so it’s not like I played 30 minutes every game. There were games where I only played 15 or 20 minutes, so it’s really good for all of us because there were a lot of WNBA players. Because we had a lot of really good players, we rotated and we didn’t play that much. Only at the end, the last part was tough. I had to play a lot of minutes, but that makes you in good shape and I feel like I’m ok. I don’t want to stop right now. I’m switching teams, so that helps. If I had to go back to the same team, that would be tough. Because of switching continents, the new coaches and teammates, it’s exciting and you want to keep going. I won everything over there and I want to bring that good luck to the Lynx. You know, it’s like ‘Keep ‘em coming.’

SL: With Roger Griffith able to swing the deal to acquire Lindsey Harding on top of drafting Noelle Quinn this year, do you finally feel as if this organization has a plan for the future and has taken the first step?

SA: I don’t think that’s the right way to put it. I mean, yeah, we got a good player. I heard she accomplished a lot, but this is a new league for her. She’s a rookie point guard and that’s extremely hard. She’s not going to be the only one to help us. I mean, last year we got Seimone, everybody talked about her and what happened? It’s not up to one or two players, but it’s going to take everybody.

SL: I know that you really had to put some thought in this summer if you really wanted to come back to the Lynx…

SA: Yes.

SL: So, what has to happen this season for you to want to remain in Minnesota after this season is over?

SA: Honestly last year, the chances of me coming back were like 10%. I really was tired, I was frustrated, I didn’t feel like this team was going in the right direction and I just didn’t see how we could get better. Now, obviously, we are already better, but everybody else is getting better too. This is my team, right now, for this year and I don’t want to think about next year. You always think about your options, but, as of right now, this is my team and I can’t wait for us to get better because not many people respect us right now.

No comments: