Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Chat With Shay Murphy


Shay Murphy, much like Kristen Mann, could play an incredibly important part in the Lynx quest to return to the playoffs this year. On a team with the likes of Seimone Augustus, Lindsey Harding, Noelle Quinn and Nicole Ohlde, there are enough players scoring the ball. Players like Murphy, who are capable of scoring, but can contribute to the team in other ways, will need to find their identity quickly. Although Murphy has not been able to participate in camp as much as she would like to, she is well on her way to finding her own niche on this team.

I sat down with Shay last week to discuss camp and the soon-approaching season.



SL: How excited are you for the up-tempo style of play that Coach Zierden is implementing?

SM: Well, it’s really exciting. I think this organization this year has a great mix of veterans and some rookies involved, so that means we’ve got a lot of athleticism. I think this team is going to be fast-paced, but controlled with our veterans. The coaching staff is going to be able to mix it up, depending on our opponent, so I’m really excited to be a part of it. I’ll just get out and run, make some plays and get the crowd into it.

SL: What’s been the hardest part of camp so far?

SM: I think the hardest part so far is just being consistent. I’m not able to do everything I want with the team right now. Whether it’s sitting out or just being on the sideline, that’s just really difficult for anybody no matter what level you’re at. On the games though, it’s just being consistent and knowing how hard you need to play every time, every second, and that’s something that really takes a lot of heart and work ethic. I’m glad we’re getting pushed to the test and I think it’s making me a better player.

SL: What are your thoughts on Coach Zierden so far?

SM: I think he’s a great coach so far. He has a great philosophy to his style of play, what he expects on and off the court and what he expects from his coaching staff. I really like it. I’m comfortable and he’s a father figure. He’ll push you. I mean, he’ll treat you like you’re one of his own kids, so that’s good. Ultimately, it will get you better and it’s only to benefit the team. It’s nothing too harsh that he wouldn’t treat his own kids, which is great. He’s positive and I’m real excited to play for him. I want to do exactly what he wants and make him proud.

SL: Now I want you to be a scout for me. Tell me what you’ve seen out of Lindsey Harding so far in camp.

SM: Oh, Lindsey’s really athletic and quick. She’s a creator and she’s a true point guard. She looks to dish to her teammates, but she has the ability to attack and score at will. She’s got long arms, a great defender and an all-around solid game. I really like playing with her and being her teammate. She’s a great player and can do it all.

SL: How about Kathrin Ress?

SM: Kathrin’s great. She’s a great teammate. She works real hard and she wants to get it right, you know? She tries her hardest and she’ll try 150 times until she gets it right. She’s really positive and encouraging all the time and she works her butt off, whether it’s defense or offense. She sets great screens and is an overall great team player. She’s a great person to have on the floor at all times because she’s pretty skilled down low. She’ll get you with the up and under and finish, so that’s great.

SL: Are you concerned at all with the lack of post players on the team this season?

SM: I’m not really concerned because of prior experiences at USC. I just think it’s unfortunate when somebody gets in foul trouble or a player gets hurt, but we’re a balanced team. We’re pretty deep, our bench is pretty solid and I don’t think the talent or athleticism is going to dip when the coaching staff needs to go to the bench. I think it’s just another opportunity for somebody to step up and, I think, any given night, anybody could be the ‘go-off’ player, the ‘go-to’ player. I think that’s just with having a well-balanced bench and a coaching staff that believes in everybody’s abilities. You have to do a scouting report on all of us…it’s not just one now, so that’s exciting.

SL: Have you been able to determine at this point what your specific role will be on this team?

SM: A little bit, but not really. I think my role and my goal is to go out every day and play 100%. Just give my entire work ethic and do whatever the team wants me to do that night. Whether it’s scoring, defending, knocking down free throws or maybe it’s just cheering, whatever they want me to do that day, I’ll do it. I’m just happy to be a part of the team. That task or assignment, I just hope I complete that, you know? That’s my goal and they’ll never have to coach effort with me. I’ll give it to them 100%.

SL: This team won 10-games last year. The acquisitions this off-season were Katryna Gaither and the rookies. You are all talented rookies, but are rookies nonetheless. What do you believe is a realistic expectation for the Lynx this season?

SM: Definitely a realistic expectation is winning more then 10 games. I just think we’ll shock a lot of teams, you know? Yeah, you know, we’re rookies and we’re young, but I just think our effort is going to shock a lot of teams. Our heart, we do have heart and we’re going to be the team to sneak up on someone. We’re excited for that and as long as our coaching staff never has to coach effort, we’re going to be happy with ourselves. Definitely taking it one day at a time and each day get better, each game get better. ‘Work Hard.’ That’s the slogan, you know? As long as we do that and contribute and stay together through the good times and the bad times—and this organization has had bad times—we’ll shock people.

No comments: