Sunday, April 29, 2007

Saturday Scrimmage Notes


As you have seen by now, I attended the Lynx practice Saturday night with the intention of sitting down for a chat with Katryna Gaither. Although I did accomplish the one-on-one with her, I arrived to the practice facility to a special treat. The Lynx were scrimmaging against men--who these guys were, I have no idea--and I was allowed to watch the second half.

Sitting closer to the side that the Lynx were playing offense, I grabbed my pen and jotted down notes as I watched. Sitting that close, the first thing that struck me was the intensity and speed at which this scrimmage was being played. The opponents were not here to lose--and, in actuality, may have been a little overzealous in their efforts to defeat the Lynx--and the Lynx did not back down.

So, I thought it would be fun for you, my readers, to get a glimpse at some of the notes that I took during the scrimmage. It’s not much, especially in the fourth quarter as I was really focusing on the action, but I though you may find it interesting.
Take from it what you will.

-----

Scrimmage notes-3rd Quarter.
Lynx lineup-Harding, Jacobs, Augustus, Ress and Ohlde.

-More north/south passing (post and repost) then I saw from the Timberwolves the entire season.

-Ress has some very nice, strong post moves.

-Harding is a true point guard, creating for her teammates. Is especially setting up Jacobs for wide open three pointers, which AJ is drilling.

-Consistently down the floor, running the offense with 21 or 22 seconds on the shot clock.

-Augustus more vocal then I heard from her all season last year.

-Ohlde also making aggressive post moves.

-Augustus getting numerous shots on the move, driving towards hoop.

-Ball movement beautiful right now.

Navond Moore subs for Amber Jacobs.

-Ress strong post moves and drawing numerous fouls.

Katryna Gaither subs for Nicole Ohlde.

-Broken play. Harding creates off dribble and hits shot at shot clock buzzer.

-Harding takes charge and a very hard hit on final half court heave at end of quarter. Stays down for a moment, but looks to be ok.

-Coach Zierden has their complete attention in the huddle.


4th Quarter
Lynx lineup-Thorburn, Moore, Augustus, Raymond and Gaither.

-Moore absolutely hustling her mind out, playing scrappy defense.

Jacobs subs for Augustus.

-Harding talking and coaching on sideline just as much as Coach Zierden.

Harding, Augustus and Ohlde for Thorburn, Moore and Raymond.

-They look as if they are getting tired now. Yet, they are still running the offense and getting open shots. The shots just are not falling right now due to tired legs.


Lynx win scrimmage 91-85. Nice to see them put up that many points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the info...

Stephen Litel said...

No problem at all.

Keep the comments coming...and tell your friends! LOL.