Sunday, July 8, 2007

Amber Jacobs Prior To A Disappointing Game

Sunday night’s game versus the Houston Comets was one of the most disappointing games of the season for this young Lynx team. After playing much better basketball recently, the expectations for this team began to rise slowly. Although a young team such as this will go through many ups and downs throughout the season, this 0-3 homestand was very disappointing.

And now, they head out on the road for six of their next eight games.

Before the game, I spoke with Amber Jacobs. For those of you who are regular readers of my work, I have lately been advocating for Jacobs to play the point guard position more, allowing rookie Noelle Quinn to slide over to the two or three position. Therefore, I sought out AJ for her opinions on the topic, as well as others.


SL: How difficult was it for you to not get much playing time, even though you were coming off your best statistical season?

AJ: It was frustrating, but Coach Z came in with a focus and a vision for this organization and how he started off the team was how he thought he needed to go. It took me a couple games to adjust, but I don’t think I ever doubted him and I’m definitely a team player. I’m still going to be there for my teammates and cheer them on and, hopefully, in the games that he puts me in, I’ll be ready and just prove to him that when I get that opportunity that I can help this team on the court. As of late, that’s happened and it’s been exciting.

SL: What do you think has changed recently, allowing for you to see more court time?

AJ: Man, it’s just a whole lot of things. Obviously, Coach Z coming in and wanting to move me to just playing the two with getting Lindsey and Noelle as point guards, he wanted to use my shooting ability. That took an adjustment, first of all. Then, just with my size, I know matchups were tough at first with defense--I’m definitely not the best defender--and I just think that I kept trying to work hard on my defense and that’s been coming along here as of late in practice. I’m shooting the ball much better in practice and I’ve been getting the opportunity to kind of be a spark off the bench.

SL: So, do you actually prefer to play the point guard or the two-guard position?

AJ: Oh, I’ve been asked that question so much! It just really depends on the team, the situation and how I’m playing. I do like the one because I like creating a tempo, distributing the ball to my teammates, but also being that point guard who can score. At the same time, playing the two is nice because you don’t have the burden of being the coach on the floor. You just basically get to run off everybody’s screens and look to shoot, so both have their advantages and disadvantages. I’m getting used to both and I don’t mind playing either.

SL: In what areas do you think the team has made the most improvement this season and what areas still need the most work?

AJ: Wow. That’s a deep question. I think from the beginning of the season until now, the biggest achievement has been the fact that we’re staying together even after the 0-7 start and now, we’re coming along a little better. We’re believing in each other and in this organization and that we can be a great team, we can be that championship team and I think that is huge. In any organization, to have that belief that we are good. There’s still so much improvement that needs to be made. I mean, we’re just so young, so getting that experience this year, I think will obviously contribute to next year. The other thing is continuing to know that every game we have to come ready to play and we have to, basically, outwork the other team. We’re not a type of team yet that can just stroll onto the court and win a game and turn our switch on and off. We have to come out and play a great 40 minute game as a team and put forth a whole lot of effort to make that happen. I think we’re understanding that and I think it shows in the games when we haven’t done that, obviously, because we’ve lost or dug ourselves into a deep hole and the next quarter we decide to work hard. Now, we just have to get the mindset that this has to happen for 40 minutes.

SL: In year’s past, it would be right about this time that the team would basically crash and burn. Why will it be different this season?

AJ: I hope it’s different. I think the team chemistry is just a lot better this year. We’re all on the same page and, even though losses are very frustrating for a team, frustrating for individuals depending on their performance, I think we’ve done a great job--and especially Coach Z and the coaching staff--of continuing to be positive and encouraging. They are continuing to teach us that a few little mistakes here and there in a game, if that wouldn’t have happened, how close we were to winning that game. I think that showing the learning curve, but at the same time saying ‘We’re right there.’ They just keep the fire lit inside of us.

SL: How hopeful are you that Svetlana is going to see enough improvement in the team this year that she’ll want to stick around for the future?

AJ: I mean, I’m very hopeful. Obviously, my contract is up this year to and I would love to be back here too, but Svet has been a huge part of this organization, not just as a player, but just a great woman. I love her to death and she’s just so much fun to be around. She gives us that presence of being that veteran, but she has really helped the younger players come along. I know she’s frustrated with these constant losing seasons, so we’ll see what happens with her. I don’t really know where her heart is right now, but, obviously, I would love to--as well as, I’m sure, the Minnesota fans--see her back.

SL: Last one for you. How proud were you of your Mom singing the national anthem at the Barn Friday night?

AJ: Oh, it’s always great that my Mom can come for a week and see some games and also be able to perform the national anthem. It’s just a little excitement that is nice for me and I hope it’s nice for the fans too.

No comments: